Sunday, January 29, 2012

Crayon Etching Project


This is a project from my Integrated Art class. The first thing I did was to make a design of anything I wanted using the 3 primary colors; red, yellow,blue. My first thought was to make it symmetrical, but after I got started  myself to reach beyond that.
 
Next, we painted over our design with black paint. A little trick I learned is to add a drop or two of dish soap to allow the paint to stick to the wax crayon.
Last, etch a design through the black paint revealing parts of the color below. Do this by using anything with a pointed-ish end. My husband is a decorative painter, so I brought him in to supply better tools! He used drill bits to create the lines, stars, and triangle but safer tools should be used with children. Next he took 80 grit sand paper to create the scratched areas.
Wallah! A light shining through a prism. I wish the colors came out better in the picture. They really pop live! The stars appear to be falling from the light! Definitely something I'll be holding on to and using with my future class!

No comments:

Post a Comment